Caltrans District5/District 7 Traffic Alert
D7/D5 Red Flag Alert - Storms Impacting Multiple Roads
Closures due to slides and flooding caused by heavy rains overnight.
CALTRANS DISTRICTS 5 AND 7
What happened? Several freeways and highways are closed due to slides and flooding caused by heavy rains overnight. These rains are continuing this morning. This is primarily impacting routes in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties in the vicinity of the Thomas Fire burn area.
How significant? Major and minor route closures. No estimated time of opening for slide locations. Localized flooding is being cleared as quickly as possible.
Traffic impact? Traffic delays on US101 in Ventura County are about a half mile to one mile. All other locations have no delays. Traffic is generally slow due to the rain.
District 5/District 7 Road Closures January 9, 2018
- US 101 closed between SR 126 in Ventura and Milpas Street in Santa Barbara for a flooding at Seacliff Drive in Ventura, flooding in La Conchita in Ventura County and a mudslide in Montecito. This is a major route
- SR27 (Topanga Canyon Rd) is closed from SR1 (Pacific Coast Highway) and Grandview in Topanga (Los Angeles County) due to a slide. This is used by local residents and commuters from the San Fernando Valley to reach SR1.
- SR33 is closed north of Ojai between Fairview and Lockwood Valley roads due to a slide. This is a rural section of Ventura County.
- SR150 is closed at Santa Ana Road in Casitas Pass, west of Ojai. This is a rural section of Ventura County
- SR2 is closed at SR39 for 10 miles east of that point through Wrightwood due to a rock slide. This is a rural section of Los Angeles County
- I-405 two right lanes, northbound are closed due to slide
- There is also localized flooding of lanes, and there are accidents related to the rain. (Separate red flag report on I-5/Los Feliz Blvd fatal accident.)
More Information: Caltrans will issue closure updates on Twitter at @CaltransD5 and @CaltransDist7. For real-time traffic updates, road closures, live traffic cams, chain controls and more, always check Caltrans QuickMap before you go, or download the QuickMap app on iTunes or Google Play.
Get Real-Time Online Traffic Information with Caltrans’ QuickMap App
The app is available by searching "Caltrans" in Apple's "App Store" and in Android's "Google Play Store."
It is also available online at Caltrans' QuickMap page.
Statewide Alerts and Other Information
Public Affairs Links
Winter Driving Tips
General Information Line: (916) 654-2852
You can also call
California Department of Transportation
1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA 95814