- Caltrans Home
- Division of Traffic Operations
- Office of Traffic Engineering
- Legal Truck Access Branch
COMMERCIAL VEHICLE OPERATIONS
PERMITS / LICENSING / REGISTRATION
Commercial vehicles operating in California are required to be equipped with:
- a fully charged fire extinguisher securely mounted in a conspicuous place or in a marked compartment (further requirements may apply based upon type of cargo).
- three properly maintained red emergency reflectors.
All vehicle (mechanical) equipment, such as lights, windshields, reflectors, etc., must comply with the United States Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration standards.
For more information about safety equipment, contact the Commercial Vehicle Section of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) at (916) 843-3400.
Return to the Caltrans "Legal Truck Access" page.